Hilgard referred to people who respond well to hypnosis as "hypnotic virtuosos," because of the large number of things which this enables them to accomplish. -- pre-experiencing the rewards of distant goals in order to motivate ourselves in the present, or suppressing the sensation of pain, and a host of other things which most regular visitors to my hyperempiria Blog are fully aware of.
If you hand someone a violin and tell them that they can make beautiful music with it, most people can learn to play it passably well if they truly wish to do so. But others can learn to make such beautiful music that we are astonished at their performance. And so it is with the hypnotic virtuosos. To the public at large, their performance is indeed astonishing, but hypnotists know it all too well.
In the words of an old song, "Let's face the music and dance." We need to devote more of our efforts into working with the experientially gifted, to help them make the most of their abilities. And when they do, we will all be able to dance in celebration along with them, because they will have inspired us too.
We need to have some sort of an Olympic forum for hypnosis, so that these world-class performers can learn from one another, and inspire the rest of us to emulate them. But this would not be the hypnotic equivalent of Mensa. The group would be open to everyone, regardless of their level of hypnotic performance, with the goal of helping everybody to maximize their potential. As +michael ellner recently stated, quoting Confucius, "Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Let me do and I understand." I hope that everybody who is interested will contact me, firstname.lastname@example.org, to consider the formation of such a group.
Scroll down for a list of some of the most popular sites on this Blog.
For an easily accessible list of all Blog postings, see the list entitled, "Blog Archive" in the column at the right of this page.
Here are some of our most popular sites:
- Deep Relaxation Hypnosis for Falling Asleep
- The Science of Thinking Thin: The Cognitive-Behavioral Diet
- How to Eliminate Panic Attacks
- Being a Therapist for your Friends and Family
- How to Construct Hypnotic Suggestions and Autosuggestions Scientifically
- Is Hypnosis Dangerous? Some Hypnotists Are!
- Romantic Love and the Power of Suggestion
- The Power of Suggestion Gone Wild
- How to Recognize a Personality Disorder
- How to Train Yourself Not to Be Angry
- How to Keep your boss from driving you crazy!
- Premature Ejaculation Treated With CBT and Suggestion-Enhanced Experience
- How to Use Hypnosis to Commit a Murder (or Not)
- The Art of Small Talk
- How to Survive a Toxic Relationship
- How to Overcome Shyness with Cognitive-Behavioral Psychology
- The Science of THINKING Thin: The "Cognitive-Behavioral" Diet
- How to Get Thin and STAY Thin with Self-Hypnosis and Visualization
- FREE Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy Instruction and Downloads
- Traveling Through an Alternate Universe
- The Evidence is in: "Free Will" is an Illuision!
- "Hypnotic Virtuosos:" The Next Step Upward in Human Evolution?
- What is Hyperempiria?
- How to Hypnotize Yourself Using the Best Me Technique
- Hyperempiria for Facilitating Meditation and Prayer
- Hyperempiria for Improving Academic Performance
- Hyperempiric Thrapy of Depression
- Hypnosis is Easy When You Know How
- Hyperempiria for the Relief of Pain
- How to Achieve Your Goals Withut Using "Will Power"
- Hypnosis: From Convulsions, to "Zombification," to Experiential Theater
- Hyperempiria for Children (or for the Child in All of Us)