- What did you do to attract cancer in the first place? What about all those people who get cancer because they are living in an area where there is a high level of carcinogens in the environment?
- You have a disease consciousness. The Black Death killed between 75 and 200 million people, between 1348 and 1350. What could all those people have been thinking that caused such a plague to so suddenly come upon them?
- You must have a karmic debt to pay off. If you read The Diary of Anne Frank, you will get a good idea of the kind of person she was. Now consider the fate of Ann and others like her as they covered with lice and dying of hypothermia in a Nazi concentration camp during World War II. What did they do to deserve this?
- Why can’t you create enough faith to be healed? Age is a wasting disease. And the survival rate for this particular disease is zero.
- Don’t you know smoking will kill you? With 99% of the same genes as our closest simian cousins, the chimpanzees, and over a century of experimental research to back them up, most psychologists agree that short-term pleasure is often more important than long-term consequences in determining our behavior, particularly when it comes to matters of addiction.
- Fat people are out of control. An African journalist recently stated that her greatest surprise in coming to the United States was to discover that in America, thin people are rich and fat people are poor, since in her own country the reverse is true. If this is the case, how can weight be a function of one's personal discipline rather than one's culture?
- You have a poverty consciousness. The CIA World Factbook lists the United States as twelfth in per capita income, behind such nations as Norway and Hong Kong, yet most Americans are inclined to think of themselves as the richest nation in the world. If we create our own reality, why are we not in first place?
- "Get out of the victim trap!" Tell the survivors of Stalinist tyranny who were imprisoned in Siberia that they shouldn't have been thinking so negatively about their situation that it caused them to wind up there.
- Why did you create this problem? The CIA World Factbook lists the United States as fiftieth from the top in infant mortality compared with other nations. Explain to the parents of the babies who died because they were not given better medical care what they or their children did to create this problem.
- What is God punishing you for? If God is keeping quiet about His reasons, then what is the point of punishment?
- If “The Secret” is not working for you, then you must be doing something wrong. Maybe so! On a recent radio interview show featuring a leading theoretical physicist who was commenting upon the latest discoveries in his field, a questioner asked him about the "law of attraction." He forcefully criticized the promulgators of this belief for misleading people, and assured the caller that the universe simply does not work that way. Perhaps what people who subscribe to this false doctrine are doing wrong is believing in "The Secret" in the first place.
One might well ask why the mind works this way, I cannot answer you from science, because in science the question "why" is unanswerable
Basically, it is not enough simply to have thoughts and images, as advocated in The Secret. You also have to have intention. In order to believe it, you have to believe in it. And in order to believe in it, you can have no room for doubt in your heart. A tall order, but IMHO that is "the secret."
Almost every major religion has its saints and mystics, who have reportedly been capable of miraculous works through perfect love in the name of their faith, To cite Christianity as one example,"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." (John 4:11) Outside of an often elusive religious context, the regular practice of guided meditation in hyperempiiria is one of the ways to eliminate our own fear through strengthening the power of unconditional love.